BBL3406 Analysing Poetry & Drama 2013/2014

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Response Poem

Task:'...your own poem in response to pr inspired by Naomi Shibhab Nye's "All Things Not Considered"'
This poem, was difficult to write. Partly because I've never experience war, partly, the emotional strain it had on me. I tend to forget quickly things that I dislike-so that I can have a new start everyday. The intensive background research I had on NSN's "All Things Not Considered" the past weekend shook me and I was more than ready to forget it. As I settle down to muse on what I was gonna write, images or "footage" (if I can call it that way) of war movies I've seen adds on to the imaginations of my own. All these negativity, I didn't want to feel it, or else, I'll have to postpone my work again.

This is what I managed to squeeze out:


Untitled

We were living our lives,
Till an engine drone on over us.

A high-pitched wail,
Followed by a loud Ka-BOOM!

The ground shook, and
Suddenly it's raining stones.

Mommy looked worried,
And gathered us around.

Ka-BOOM! It's nearer.
"Run to that shelter!"

Another wail sounded and
Azad stopped to watch.

Everything around me flew
Then I saw Azad's shirt in red.

Something was in my throat,
Couldn't scream for mommy.

When the hot fog cleared,
Far ahead, mommy's dress.

Azad and mommy lay,
On the floor, as if sleeping.

I run to her but,
I couldn't stand.

Then I saw a man in black,
With an odd looking stick.

His funny looking face scares me,
Papa's Death have come to me.



First person perspective, of a child. I intended the structure to be choppy and messy-like what's running through my head, the chaos of war. Others are open for interpretation, if any...

1 comment: